If you're planning a vacation in beautiful Durrës and want to fill your trip with an unforgettable experience, rent a car and take a self-drive tour around Albania. Because only travelling by car you can fully enjoy this country: panoramic roads with sea views, authentic towns and villages, mountain trekking, ruins of medieval fortresses and, of course, traditional local cuisine.
You can find and book a car for your trip directly on our website.
Benefits of booking on localrent.com ↵
- Large selection of cars from reliable local rental companies.
- Transparent pricing policy. Rental price is fixed in the voucher at the time of booking.
- You only need to pay 15-20% of the price to place your order, and you will pay the remaining amount when you pick up your car.
- Low deposits. Some cars can be rented without a deposit.
- Customer care is available throughout the rental period.
Which car to choose
Any car will do for driving in and around Durrës, including an economy car. If you are planning a trip to the mountains, we recommend choosing a four-wheel-drive car with a more powerful engine, preferably a crossover. If you dream of driving with open top, why not rent a convertible? If you need a lot of space, a minivan is a great option for travelling with a large group.
For how long to rent a car
Your car rental period in Albania will depend on your travel plans and preferences. If you don't have much time and only want to drive around the nearby sights of Durrës, renting a car for 1-3 days will be enough. And if you are planning a longer trip, rent a car for a week or even two. Albania has enough wonders for any vacation.
The official traffic regulations in Albania are the same as in the rest of Europe. So, it shouldn't be difficult to follow them. However, it is worth noting that local drivers very often break speed limits, rarely use turn signals, and overtake where it’s prohibited to do so. Nevertheless, they drive quite carefully. If this is your first time behind the wheel in Albania, be careful and take your time.
There are both paid and free parking areas in Durrës.
Paid parking spaces are located in the city centre. At most of them, the parking rate is only charged during the daytime on weekdays. Before parking, make sure to check road signs and signposts for accurate information on opening hours and parking rates.
Outside the city centre, parking is free. You can’t park your car at the parking spaces marked with numbers because they are reserved for certain owners or have been bought out.
Petrol stations in Albania
There are many petrol stations in the country, but they are unevenly distributed. There will be no problems with fuel on the main highways and in major cities. However, if you are planning a trip to remote areas, you had better fill up with extra fuel.
Most petrol stations are only open during the daytime. You can find 24-hour petrol stations in large cities and on busy highways.
Places to visit by a rental car
Albania has many stunning places to visit by a rental car.
- Berat. Known as the ‘The City of a Thousand Windows', Berat is one of most beautiful cities in Albania. Its historic centre, which includes a castle and many traditional houses, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Saranda. It is a resort town located on the coast of the Ionian Sea. Here you will find beautiful beaches, clear waters, and a party atmosphere.
- Apollonia. Visit the ancient town of Apollonia near Fier. Here you can see the ruins of the city, visit the archaeological museum, and experience the spirit of antiquity.
- Albanian Alps. If you love mountains and nature, you should go to the Albanian Alps. Visit national parks such as Tomorri, Valbona or Theth and enjoy the beauty of mountain landscapes, lakes, and waterfalls.
- Butrint. It is an ancient city that is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There’s a beautiful archaeological park with temples, a forum and an amphitheatre.
- Ksamil. Located on the southern coast of Albania, Ksamil is known for its beautiful beaches and bright blue waters. Here you can relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
Have a nice trip!